Back in America around this time, I’d be impatiently waiting for spring. I’d groan everytime I thought I saw another snowflake, insist on ordering cold coffee, and roll my eyes for the entire process of scraping ice off my windshield. These days, living in Bangkok, what I wouldn’t give for a big cozy sweater and a little frost. We’re currently in the midst of hot season, and it is HOT. Despite the heat, I don’t think there’s any weather condition in which I could turn down a creamy soup and a big hunk of bread. If spring is still out of reach and you’re in cooler weather than you’d like (and less stubborn than I) this yummy soup is perfect for those chilly days. As for me…a/c is on high.
Roasted Broccoli & Potato Soup
one large potato, chopped
two medium, heads of broccoli, chopped
one head of garlic, top sliced off
one onion, chopped
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup unsweetened plain soy milk
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
6 tbsp olive oil, divided
salt + pepper
1 tbsp garlic salt
2 tbsp flour
green onions, chopped (for garnish; optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180º C (350º F).
2. Toss broccoli with 4 tbsp olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic salt, and salt and pepper to taste. Place on baking tray. Create a little circle in the middle and place the head of garlic. Pour 2 tsp olive oil over garlic.
3. Place in oven and bake for 60 minutes. Let cool.
4. Heat remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a soup pot over medium/high heat.
5. Add onions and cook until caramelized.
6. While onions are cooking, remove the cloves of garlic from their skins and smash together with potatoes and broccoli.
7. When the onions have caramelized, add the garlic/potato/broccoli mixture and the flour into the soup pot and stir until coated.
8. Add vegetable stock and soy milk. Cover and bring to a boil.
9. Lower heat and simmer for ten minutes.
10. Serve piping hot with your favorite bread! (not optional.)