Chocolate chip cookie dough is my absolute favorite. It’s cookies…and ice cream…together. Who thought of this madness? I don’t know but I love you. When I was little I would spit out all the cookie dough chunks to save at the bottom for one massive spoonful of cookie dough. I am proud to say that I no longer do this (in public).
This vegan ice cream uses a coconut milk base, and the coconut flavor is definitely still there in the final product. If you’re not a fan of the flavor, you might want to skip this one, or substitute another fatty non-dairy milk.
I made this without an ice cream machine, and I was pleasantly surprised that it still resembled ice cream! If you are an ice-cream-machine-less person like myself, I’ll leave a note in the recipe of the extra step that’ll get that air in there.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream (vegan)
750 mL (25 oz) coconut milk (Chao Koh brand is best)
2 cups brown sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
one half batch chocolate chip cookie dough
1. In a saucepan over low heat, combine coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla until sugar is dissolved.
2. If using an ice cream machine, pour mixture in and turn on. If not, pour into a 1 lb bread loaf pan and put in the freezer. Stir every hour, scraping the ice crystals off the bottom, until almost frozen (This took me about 3 hours).
3. Meanwhile, make your cookie dough. Roll cookie dough into little chunks and stick on a baking sheet. Put in the freezer.
4. When the ice cream in the machine is finished, or in the freezer is almost solid, stir in the cookie dough chunks.
5. Freeze until solid. Scoop out and enjoy!